Visual and Performing Arts
Our department strives to be inclusive in our enrolment policy and the support we offer to our students. We are at the heart of the College enriching our community with annual talent shows, charity events, exhibitions of student work in Art and Design, performances in Drama and Music throughout the year and a comprehensive sport enrichment programme.
Student support is the key to maintaining our success, students are treated as individuals and as a result, the Visual and Performing Arts Department have the highest ratings for student satisfaction in the College. The views of the students are sought every term in learner forums - an idea initiated within the College by our department.
We hold a VPA Careers Evening every year, to which we invite both students and their parents/guardians in order to inform them of the career routes and opportunities within our disciplines. We keep involved with our local community through outreach Drama and Music performances, sports coaching across local schools and have project links through Art with Harrow social services, various galleries and art schools in London. We have a link with the Courtauld University for History of Art who offer study days as well as an Outreach Programme for students interested in History of Art.
Art & Design (Eduqas)
- Unit 1 : Personal investigation (60%)
- Unit 2 : Externally set assignment, including 15 hours exam (40%)
History of Art (Edexcel)
- Unit 1 : Written paper : Visual Analysis and Themes
- Unit 2 : Written paper : Periods 'Renaissance in Italy' (1420-1520) and Rebellion and Revival: the British and French Avant-Garde (1848-99)
Drama & Theatre Studies (Edexcel)
- Component 1 : Devising (40%)
- Component 2 : Text in performance (20%)
- Component 3 : Theatre makers in practice (40%)
- Component 1 : Performance, visiting examiner, 10-12 mins 35%
- Component 2 : Composing, coursework 25% 4-6 mins (2 compositions)
- Component 3 : Appraising, written exam 40%
St Dominic's will also be offering places to talented musicians. If you would like to apply for a Music place you should email the Head of Music to arrange an audition firstname.lastname@example.org.
What students say (Student Survey)
The teachers listen to all the students’ opinions and take into account all their different learning abilities.
They make the subject very enjoyable and provide a wide variety of types of lessons. They take a very friendly approach to the students and listen to their queries in the subject as well as other aspects such as university and career progression.
I could not be happier with the support and the teaching in this area.
What Ofsted say
St Dominic’s 6th Form College provides learners from a range of backgrounds and faiths with excellent opportunities to develop their personal and academic skills.