Dominican Associates – Schools Group
On Wednesday 15th January 2020, Nicola Walsh, Vice Principal at St Dominic’s Sixth Form College, hosted a meeting of the Dominican Associates Schools Group, which consists of:
- St Michael’s High School, Garston
- St Cuthbert Mayne Junior School, Hemel
- St Roses Infant School, Hemel,
- The Annunciation Junior School, Burnt Oak
- The Annunciation Infant School, Burnt Oak
- St Catherine of Siena, Garston
- St Dominic’s Primary School, Harpenden
- St James High School, Colindale
Nicola gave the group a tour of the school, where everyone visited the Memorial Garden dedicated to the sisters and the Chapel, which was opened in 1929. To capture another historic moment in Dominican history, everyone had their photographs taken in the Chapel.
To link in with the Diocesan initiative - the Year of ‘The God who Speaks’ each of the schools shared with colleagues what they were doing in their schools to celebrate the year. Reference was made to the Dominicans as ‘Preachers of the Word’ and the good source material available through Dominican Writers, the Arts and poetry so as not to limit the approach, to just scriptural texts.
As part of the above discussions the schools also shared how their Dominican ethos was manifested and lived out in each school.
‘Arm yourself with prayer rather than a sword; wear humility rather than fine clothes.’
These words still speak to us today.